Spots.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Dr. Nelva J. Bryant, DVM, MPH
Dr. Nelva Bryant is a DVM and former LCDR in the U.S. Public Health Service with over 27 years of professional experience. Now working in the airline industry, her goal is to enhance pet travel by advocating for animal welfare, educating, and ensuring veterinary supervision.
- Veterinarian with 27+ years of experience in the field
- Licensed since 1993 and able to practice in Georgia and New York
- USDA Accredited (Category 1) and a retired LCDR from the U.S. Public Health Service, having served over 10 years at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Held various positions at the CDC, including Quarantine Veterinary Medical Officer, Veterinary Public Health Consultant, and Chief Veterinary Pathologist
- Currently working in the airline industry as an in-house Veterinarian at Delta Air Lines and offering consultative services
- Completed training in Live Animal Transportation at the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) Center in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Active member of multiple Executive Council/Advisory Board Committees and the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Dr. Bryant’s veterinary journey is unconventional. After graduating from veterinary college and spending a year in clinical practice, she decided to pursue veterinary pathology. She received further training and joined the U.S. Army for three years before transferring to the U.S. Public Health Service, where she held various positions related to animal and public health. To enhance her expertise, she earned an MPH degree from the University of Iowa’s MPH for Practicing Veterinarians program.
Through her career, Dr. Bryant has developed a unique skill set, including expertise in veterinary pathology, infectious and zoonotic diseases, veterinary public health, CDC dog import regulations, international and national animal transportation regulations, and airline live animal transportation policies. She uses her knowledge to educate others as a consultant, presenting at veterinary conferences and webinars, and serving on council and advisory boards.
Dr. Bryant received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine and her Master of Public Health degree from the University of Iowa-MPH for Practicing Veterinarians Program.