How to Choose a Pet Bed Cover
Your pet’s bed is their favorite place to sleep. Why not make it as comfortable and safe and possible? A pet bed cover is a removable tool that can help your pet’s bed stay clean and comfy for them. As there are many different covers available, we’ll take a look at what you should look for, how to measure for a cover, and why comfort is key.
Measuring For a Pet Bed Cover
To measure your pet’s bed for a cover, you’ll need to take measurements at a few specific points. You’ll also have to account for the style of the pet bed and use those measurements to choose the perfect size.
- Length is the longest side of the pet bed. Make sure that you take into account any dips or indents, as this can add to the required length measurement.
- Width is a measure of the space from one long side to the other. If your pet bed is round, this is the same as the length. Again, make sure to include dips and indents in your measurements.
- Height should be measured at the bed’s tallest point for an accurate measurement. It’s also important to adhere very firmly to height measurement, even if it doesn’t accommodate the other measurements of the bed. If it doesn’t fit the height, it won’t fit at all.
Measurements are usually displayed in the following format: Length x Width x Height.
You should also consider your pet’s style of bed. A rectangular cover won’t fit a round bed very well, for example. Beds that include bolsters or pillows will need a lot of extra space to make room for a taller height and deeper dip in the middle.
Keep these measurements in mind while shopping for a pet bed cover. IT can help you choose the correct size for your pet’s bed the first time and can help you avoid making returns.
Universal Fit vs. Specific Fit
Do you already have a dog bed you’re looking to cover? Choosing a cover made for your bed (or for a mat of the same size) can be key to keeping the bed safe. But specific-fit covers aren’t the only kind available and for good reason. Most pet beds won’t have dedicated covers, so you may have to choose a universal-fit cover.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The universal fit cover will allow you to continue using the same bed that your dog loves. As long as it has the same general size and shape, you won’t have to look too long to find a cover with the perfect design, softness, and material.
Essentially, it’s all up to you. Choose a specific or fitted cover if one is available (and if it matters to you). Most of the time, a universal cover will work fine, as long as you’re okay with the potential of some other fabric!
Comfort is Key
One of the worst things that a pet bed cover can do is make your pet’s safe, comfortable space undesirable. Canvas dog bed covers can be durable and waterproof, but they also aren’t the most comfortable covers you can get.
While weighing all of the different factors that influence your decision, consider your pet’s comfort. Choose a cover that they’ll want to use, rather than one that will ruin your pet’s favorite bed. Polyester can be soft or choose something like microfleece if it’s available.
Comfort can make all the difference, so choose material and filling that your dog will love to use.
What to Look For in a Pet Bed Cover
Here are some things to keep in mind as you’re shopping for a pet bed cover.
The first thing you should be aware of is the style of pet bed cover that you need. There are several different options for multiple different pet beds, and we’ll discuss each of them below.
- DIY. A DIY cover is not meant to go on any specific pet bed or insert mat. This type of cover is meant to be stuffed with blankets, old clothes, old bedding, and other soft items. Using this type of cover to create a bed for your dog ensures that the bed will smell like you.
- Insert. Insert covers are usually meant to go over specific types of beds. These covers have gussets and seams in the right places to make sure that they fit tightly over the pad. They may also be shaped to fit over a very specific brand of bed.
- Slipcover. Slipcover-type covers are universal for the most part. These covers fit loosely over beds of all different shapes and sizes. These covers are still closed with a zipper, but they don’t fit as well as insert covers.
- Blanket. Blanket covers don’t close but drape over beds. They can be used as blankets as well, which helps if your pet’s bed is unusually shaped (or if your dog likes to lounge on the couch).
Choose the style of cover that works best for your dog’s bed and your lifestyle.
Size is the next most important thing you should be keeping an eye out for when you’re looking for a bed cover. You want to choose a cover that will fit on your dog’s bed, including the size and shape. Make sure to follow the sizing guidelines above and purchase a cover that is a bit bigger than your dog’s bed.
What is the cover made of? You’ll want a material that is comfortable, washable, and won’t irritate your dog’s skin. You’ll also want to choose a durable material. Canvas, cotton, and polyester are all great materials that are used in many pet bed covers. Choose these materials over harder materials or anything your dog or cat may be allergic to.
Pets have accidents. Dogs can come in from a walk with muddy paws, and cats can sometimes get a little overenthusiastic with the water bowl. To prevent these occasional water droplets from affecting your pet’s bed, choose a cover that is waterproof. Note that most waterproof covers aren’t going to completely stop water from getting through. If the cover gets soaked through, it will likely cause an issue. However, waterproof covers can stop smaller amounts of water from seeping in and causing mold or water damage.
As we discussed above, make sure to keep an eye on which covers are universal. These covers can be used on just about any pet bed of the same size, regardless of what brand the bed is from. If you are looking for a cover that fits a specific bed perfectly, you’d be better off looking for a branded cover made for your specific dog bed.
Dogs like to chew things (and some cats do, too)! That’s why zippers on your pet beds are so important. Choose a cover with a reinforced zipper that will stand up to even the most aggressive chewers. If you know your dog is going to destroy any zipper you put in front of them, choose a cover without a zipper (such as a blanket-style cover).
There are a lot of pet bed cover options that are plain, monochrome colors. If those are good for your decor, feel free to get them! However, it’s also cool to choose a flashier design if you want. It’s all up to you! Choose a bed that fits your unique style, your home decor, and even your dog’s personality.
Finally, the importance of durability cannot be overstated. Dogs who are frequently aggressive with digging and chewing can quickly ruin any bed you try out for them. That may be why you need a cover in the first place! Thankfully, plenty of covers are chew-proof or durable enough to withstand abuse from rowdy dogs and cats.